Boo….Are you ready for Halloween? Honestly, I wasn’t ready at all until my Mother-in-law took the kids out for Halloween costumes shopping last weekend. Many of the more popular costumes were either sold out or didn’t have the size for my kids. I didn’t know people get ready so early when there were more than 3 weeks before Halloween arrives. With that said, I guess I better get ready and swing into Halloween mood earlier this year as well. I was planning to dress my kids as Mickey and Minnie Mouse since they are big fans of the mouse. Unfortunately, I didn’t get those outfits this year. So, here are some Mickey and Minnie Mummy Cupcakes for the kiddos. These mummy cupcakes are so much fun to make and for sure will get you into Halloween mood. Here’s what you need:
1) Prepare some Chocolate cupcakes, of course. I used this recipe here. You can use your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe or even boxed cake mix for these.
2) Chocolate Nonpareil Candies for Mickey and Minnie’s ears.
3) Light color Buttercream or frosting. I used my favorite Meyer Lemon Buttercream recipe here.
4) Chocolate Covered Raisins for Mickey and Minnie’s eyes.
6) Powdered sugar for rolling the marshmallows
7) Heart Shaped Confetti for Minnie’s Bowtie
Here are the steps:
1) Lightly dust a clean surface and your rolling pin with powdered sugar. With a dusted rolling pin, flatten the marshmallows. You’ll need about 3 marshmallows for each cupcake.
2) With a kitchen scissors, cut the rolled marshmallows into strips.
3) Frost the cupcakes with a thin layer of Buttercream or frosting. The frosting acts as adhesive for the marshmallow strips and chocolate candies.
4) Place a pair of the chocolate covered raisins on the upper one third of the cupcakes as eyes.
5) Press a pair of chocolate nonpareil candies, white side down, onto the top of the cupcakes as ears. Refrain
6) Place the marshmallow strips at an angle over the frosted cupcakes, leaving the eyes exposed. Gently press the marshmallow strips so they’ll stick onto the frosting. Trip off excess marshmallow strips around the cupcakes.
See how simple and easy that was? I really love this mummy cupcake project. Fun factor: 80 out of 100. Spooky factor: 60 out of 100. 60 is pretty much my kids’ standard. They were wondering why Mickey and Minnie were all bundled up! After a brief explanation (not too sure if my kids were really listening), the cupcakes mysteriously disappeared. Spooky, huh?
Cute factor: 100 out of 100. I’m not a fan for the mouse (guess that’s because I see them too often around the house), but I have to say, these mummy cupcakes are super adorable. Hope you like them too and maybe make some with your kids this Halloween. My little girl sure enjoyed the time with me in the kitchen today. She indulged a few Minnie's ears and Mickey's eyes here and there while having fun rolling out marshmallows with me.