Wednesday, August 22, 2012
We have 2 birthday celebrations last month, my Baby Girl’s and my Hubby’s. This girly Raspberry Roulé Cake was for my Baby Girl’s, of course. I apologize for the poor lighting and settings of these pictures because it was already dark when we were ready to cut the cake. I decorated it right before we serve so I didn’t have time to do my photo shoot setup. But nonetheless, this Raspberry Roulé Cake was the bomb!
I made napoleon mousse as the filling of this cake. The top layer is a raspberry mousse, the middle one was Meyer Lemon mousse, and the bottom layer was dark chocolate mousse. Below is a pictorial to show you how to form this cake.
1) First, line a small mixing bowl with 2 layers of plastic wraps. Make sure the wraps are long enough to hand over the sides.
2) Cover the bottom and sides of the bowl with slices of Raspberry Swiss Roll
3) Frost a thin layer of stabilized whipped cream all over the cake and pour the raspberry mousse into it. Smooth the surface, cover with the over hanging plastic wrap and refrigerate until the mousse is set, about 1 to 2 hours.
4) Place the Meyer Lemon Mousse over the raspberry mousse
5) Gently smooth the surface, and refrigerate until the Meyer lemon mousse is set, about 1 to 2 hours.
6) Then, top with the dark chocolate mousse Layer
7) Cover with another layer of sliced Raspberry Swiss Roll
8) Cover the whole thing with the over hanging plastic wrap and refrigerate for another hour or two. In my case, over night until ready to serve.
There are quite a few steps and some wait time in between each layer, but those are pretty simple steps. It sure was a fun cake to make and cut into. After turning out the cake, I decorated it with more fresh raspberries and fresh whipped cream.
I'll try to post the Raspberry Swiss Roll cake recipe in a separate post when I make them again. For now, Happy Birthday to my sweet Baby Girl and Hubby. Wish you lots of love, good health and happiness.
*Note: This cake was inspired by the book Sprinkle Bakes. It was originally an ice cream roulé cake. However, I used my own cake and mousse recipes.