Sunday, October 14, 2012
I adore pesto. I think it’s a sauce that I love so much, but haven’t really showcased it on my blog, as much as I should have been. Pesto is a sauce that originated in northern Italy. The traditional ingredients of pesto consist of garlic, basil, pine nuts, olive oil and Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan Cheese). It’s such a versatile sauce that you can put it on…well, almost anything that your heart desires. I've been making pesto for a while and use it on many of my recipes. Those recipes are rather simple ones and that’s the main reason why I haven’t post them on my blog. But I think it’s about time to do so. And I have a secret. A secret ingredient to keep your pesto vibrantly green and pretty.
Yup, the mighty lemon is my secret ingredient. The acid from the lemon not only adds freshness and flavor to your pesto, but also keeping it bright green instead of turning brown with the oxidation. Try it, you’ll be amazed how beautiful your pesto can stay bright green in your fridge even after a week. That is, if they even last that long in there without heading straight to your dishes and happy tummies.
It’s super simple to make. So, try this recipe out instead of buying a jar from the store the next time you want to add pesto to your recipes. You’re going to love the homemade version. Below is a list of things you can do with your pesto.
Pesto Serving Suggestions:
1) Spread on toasts and sandwiches, hm…yum!
2) Toss with hot pasta, scrumptious!
3) Wrap in rolls and buns, stay tuned on the future blog post. You don’t want to miss this one.
4) Use as a sauce on pizza…can’t wait to make this!
5) Top a dollop on hot grilled steak, fish or chicken.
6) Marinade shrimps or chicken before roasting or grilling.
7) Use as a dressing on salad.
8) Dollop on a bowl of hot soup to add more flavors.
9) Fill your omelet with pesto, mushroom, cheese, etc. You’re very welcome!
10) Add some to bake with your favorite hot dips.
Classic Pesto: (Printable Recipe)
2 cups lightly packed fresh Basil leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
2 clove garlic
Place all the ingredients in the food processor and blend until it becomes a paste. Taste and adjust salt and pepper. Store in an non-reactive and air tight container. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.