My kids love watermelon and we have plenty throughout the year, especially in the summer. I always love to try different ways to cut and serve them. In the pass, I simply cut them into triangles slices or cubes. Or, cut the watermelon in half and serve it straight with spoons. Of course, that can get a little messy and juices drip all over the place. Until, I've learn the right way to cut the watermelon! Alright, maybe there is no “right” or “wrong” way to cut a watermelon. But, there’s certainly the messy way, verses the easy and fun way to cut and to serve watermelons.
So, here’s how I do it now. It’s life changing and I bet you won’t go back to any old ways that you've done after trying this quick and easy method.
1) I always wash and dry the skin of the melon before I cut.
2) With a sharp knife, cut the watermelon in half
3) Place the melon cut side down and cut vertical slices, about 1-inch thick. Try to keep the melon in shape while you cut.
4) Then, turn the melon 90 degree, and cut vertically again, 1-inch apart to create the “square” patterns
5) You’re now ready to serve! My Little Girl calls this a watermelon puzzle! Smarty pants!
6) My Little Boy calls these watermelon sticks, great description!
You can definitely play a puzzle game before eating. I certainly love these watermelon sticks, they are so easy to eat and no mess at all. I say they are pretty fun to serve for parties and gatherings as well. I hope you’ll give this fun, quick and easy way of cutting watermelon a try. If you do, please let me know how you like this new method! Do you have a special way to cut yours? Please share! Stay tuned for more fun recipes and how-to in my future posts.